Wednesday, July 14, 2021

Falling Out Of Love With Baseball

It hit me while watching tonight's AllStar game. Maybe the uniform uniforms had something to do with it. Maybe it was the excess player fraternizing on the field or the clip of Tatis  Jr. wearing the  homerun chain. All these things set off a chain reaction and suddenly everything from the implementation of replay to the " man on second" extra inning rule had me doubting my love for  today's version of MLB. In fact, the day they decide to implement the DH rule in the National League will be the day I stop watching baseball all together. The last straw I guess you could call it. I could list other things that have changed in the game that are contributing to my growing disdain for the sport but I've gone over it ad nauseum in my head. My mind is made up. 

4 comments:

  1. I felt the same way about basketball about a decade ago. On the bright side... I still get joy from going back and looking at my old basketball cards which remind me of the good old days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I left Basketball a long time ago. Also, sorry about using Tatis as an example. He is a huge talent. It's more the practice that I'm over. Same goes for every other team with over the top dance celebrations, etc. It's gotten so cringy. At least in my eyes. I'll never tire of looking and even acquiring sports cards. That will be a constant👍

    ReplyDelete
  3. MLB is on a longer leash with me than with you, but I agree some of the recent inventions are difficult to take. ... I don't understand the over-the-top, staged player reactions (instinctive celebrations are fine) but I don't really blame the players. I have more of a problem with MLB's rule-the-world obsession in which it needs the most eyes on its product in a misguided attempt to gain the most money. That forces it to do all kinds of things I don't like.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Your gonna eat it and your gonna like it!" Pretty much sums up how I feel about MLB. I'm over it.

    ReplyDelete